Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mid-May and my eldest daughter's 38th birthday - where does the time go?

Wow - where does time go?  I've been retired about 13 months now and I can attest to the fact that I am not bored - I think the days have gotten shorter by half at least and I have twice as much to do.  I am loving it.  I just need to take the time to sit down and write about it - and do some video.  Life is good.

The first part of today I spent in the vegetable garden.  I am planting the same area that my late husband used to plant.  I'm doing it my way though.  I've created a boundary around the garden that I like a lot using cement blocks and landscape timbers.  I've also put up a makeshift pergola made up of a tarp and some tent poles for now.  Maybe by next year I will have the nerve to scavenge some lumbler and actually make a year round pergola for the garden.  It would be nice to grow peas and beans on while shading lettuce and other leafy greens.

I'm adding some photos that I took after I finished working in the garden.  This is a big blog post - lots of pictures to document some of the areas that I've been working on as well as the vegetable garden.  I have so many plans and ideas.  One of my new projects for this year will be to do some experimenting with Aquaponics and Hydroponics.  I bought some buckets to start out with and just need some PVC and aquarium pumps to get started.  Fun.
Marigolds, basil and seeds for radishes, carrots 
Hot Pepper plants and seeds for beets
View from the vegetable garden back to the house

Nasturtium seeds planted
Tomato plants, cucumber, yellow watermelon, yellow squash
and sunflowers
The undisrupted space to the right is Sunflower seed.
There will be three variety.  5-7 foot, 7 - 9 foot and 12 foot.
 
rock wall garden pink lilac
Peony garden
Iris and peony garden with a view
 back to house,
deck side.
This all takes a lot of time and labor.  I mow it and grow it.



Lily of the valley in front/right side of house

Wisteria in front of house
Birch stand at left side of house view
to vegetable garden.
Front Right of house.  Dwarf
bush, white snowball and lily of
the valley.


View back to field with
Apple Trees.  Red is a pole
barn and black "cannon"
are compost bins.
Another view of the Apple Orchard.

Left side of garage
facing the field.
Birch Stand showing
the shed.
White Lilacs by the Garage.
Rock wall garden with
hostas.
Bleeding hearts.
Another bleeding
heart by the garage.


A cute aside about my compost barrels.  I use the word "cannon" to describe them in the picture because last weekend when my 9 year old grand daughter came for a visit she asked her mother why Nana has cannons in her field? - LOL - (survival of the fittest...)

I bought a small 5'X7' green house to put up.  I am thinking of starting the aquaponics in it.  This is a new adventure for me.  I've enjoyed gardening but it's usually flowers - Ted was always the bulk veg gardener of the family.  We shall see what we shall see.  Thank you for taking the time to look at the objects of my endeavor.  If you have any comments or questions I would love to hear them.

Have a beautiful day and enjoy every nano second.
K














No comments: