I hope this brings you to it if you would like to see the process we followed. Our thanks to Vinil Ratnakaran for his video using a 5 gallon water jug. We decided to go even smaller for a school experiment and use a 2 liter Soda bottle.
|Jacquelyn with her functioning system.|
|Preparing for the video - materials we used listed below.|
2 liter soda bottle - cap and label removed
3 paint stir sticks (free from Home depot and re-used)
Crop-a-dile hole punch - a dremel or a drill would work for the stir sticks hole punch is plenty for the bottle
Plastic cap from a bottle of salad dressing - with several holes drilled into it - we made many more holes than the ones shown in the video as the system didn't drain fast enough to prevent overflow - after additional holes it was perfect. (Initially we used a hammer and a nail to make the holes but I found my dremel and it went much smoother - although a hammer and nail work)
Small fountain water pump
aquarium gravel - I found out later that the kind we used may raise the PH level and harm plant growth - clay pellets or regular small gravel may be better.
Black spray paint - Jacquelyn explains why in the video
duct tape - can be any color - again - Jacquelyn explains it in the video.
scissors to cut the bottle
Hot glue gun to attach the salad dressing cap inside the bottle top for drainage in the plant area
T-square if you want the holes to be perfect. (We used it on the first stick - then we used a white charcoal pencil to mark the rest from the first one used as a template.)
I think that was it - if you have questions just ask and we will try to answer them.
Enjoy your day! K